ECO GREEN TIPS AND TRICKS TO KEEP YOUR HOME SANITARY AND FRESH FOR HOLIDAY SEASON ENTERTAINING
Keep your kitchen sponges clean!
Sponges harbor bacteria yeast and mold. Whilst they should be replaced regularly, here are a few simple ways to keep them hygienic whilst in use:
- Use a separate sponge for dishes and countertops to avoid cross-contamination. If you happen to have the same color sponge for both, cut the corner off the counter sponge to identify it easily.
- A quick and easy way to keep your sponges sterile is to place in the microwave for one minute on high or place in the dishwasher with a high heat drying cycle.
- Soak with hydrogen peroxide for one minute, squeeze out excess moisture and place somewhere they can dry out. Wet sponges allow bacteria to multiply quickly.
Your cutting board should be getting a lot of use during the Holiday Season.
- Like sponges, avoiding cross-contamination is important.
- One for fresh produce such as salad items and vegetables, another for meat and dairy. Both can be sterilized by soaking in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water for two minutes then stood on their side to dry.
Entertaining guests means MORE BATHROOM USE!
- Keep the toilet lid down! Nasty flu symptoms can be spread by flushing with an open lid.
- Wipe down surfaces on and around the toilet frequently.
- Wipe the faucet taps frequently. Remember people touch those BEFORE they’ve washed their hands.
- Keep your toothbrushes in an enclosed cabinet.
- Provide single sheet folded paper towels in a pretty basket by the sink for each guest instead of just one guest towel.
Dispose of in a nearby trash bin. We recommend Viva brand for greater absorption and soft fabric feel.
Natural carpet freshener
Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to baking soda and combine with a dinner knife. Place in an empty salt container with a shaker top for a natural carpet freshener to sprinkle down before vacuuming. We recommend cinnamon, clove, vanilla cardamon and ginger. What a wonderful Holiday aroma to greet your guests!